Open Hiring. What is it?
Open hiring is a hiring practice based on radical trust in human potential that is fair and inclusive to all candidates. Open hiring means that the first person to apply gets the job - first-in first-hired. No questions asked, no resumes, no interviews, no background checks. Regardless of people’s past, educational background, or experience.
Open hiring does not mean privileged treatment or “lowering the bar” for candidates, but rather offering the opportunity for more diverse talent that would otherwise be passed over or ignored. The idea behind open hiring is to give people who face barriers to employment or who are normally excluded from traditional hiring processes a chance to work. Think of people with a criminal record, a history of substance abuse, or homelessness, but also people with a disability, a lack of work experience, or simply a fear of job interviews.
It’s good to note, however, that open hiring doesn’t mean that no screening is done at all. Applicants are considered based on their ability to do the job. Example of these “screening” questions would be:
- Are you authorized to work in Canada?
- Can you stand for up to eight hours?
- Can you lift over 50 pounds?
- Fill multiple job vacancies at once
- Skip the lengthy recruitment process
- Spark Employment Services will provide all necessary training, certifications and preparation to ensure that all candidates are ready for work
- Access to a larger and more diverse pool of candidates
- Cost savings
- Improved retention Giving people a chance who have been otherwise excluded from being hired at other organizations means you’re more likely to have employees who appreciate the opportunity—and, thus, are less likely to leave.
- Positive impact on society Enables individuals with barriers to employment – and their families — to get back on their feet and reintegrated into society.
Want to learn more about how you and your organization can benefit from open hiring? Contact us today!
Call us - (705)-671-2544 Email us - firstname.lastname@example.org Drop in - 435 Notre-Dame, Suite 102, Sudbury, ON